Why is the brand name important?
Your brand name is the first point that you create a connection with your clients. That is why, your brand’s name is a key part of your brand to create and foster a desired image. A brand creates the first image and association of your brand for your target market. Having a catchy, rare but still simply pronounced brand name can be a useful tool to separate your brand from its competitors. The brand name is directly linked with your marketing and brand image.
7+ Things to Consider When Choosing a Company Name
- Make sure the name is memorable and unique: One of the first things you need to consider before choosing a company name is making sure that the name is unique.
- Choose a name that is simply spelled and pronounced: Even though we prefer a name that is unique, it is crucial to be careful with spelling and pronunciation. A simple but unique name is what we are looking for.
- Make sure no other company or competitor uses a similar name and the name is trademarkable: Trademarking your brand is a key component of growing as a company. That is why you need to make sure that the name has no similarities with any other brand.
- Check for domain name availability: You need to check the domain name for your brand name. The domain name should be available to use your brand name for your company’s website.
- Choose a brand name that is in line with your desired brand image and association: On top of uniqueness and simplicity, you also need to check the fit between your brand name and brand image. You need to look for a name that is in line with your desired brand image and association.
- Ask for opinions and increase the extent of your possible brand name: You need to ask for opinions from different sources to choose a brand name that is simple, unique, and coherent. Ask as many people as possible to come up with the best possible idea for your brand name.
- Test your brand name: In the last step of choosing a brand name for your company, you need to run some tests. These tests can include a logo, slogan, and website with your pilot brand name.
Brand and Company Name Creation Tools
Renderforest is an AI-powered tool that can help with your brand name.
Namelix is an AI-generated tool that creates short brand names based on your business and preferences. Namelix also considers domain availability. The free version of Namelix offers 5 names per month, the paid version of Namelix costs $5.99 per month and creates unlimited name suggestions.
Shopify Business Name Generator
You can use Shopify to create and develop your e-commerce business. Shopify also offers brand name suggestions. Also, the simple name generator tool is free to use in Shopify.
Worldlab is a tool for name generation for brands and products. You can use Wordlab with the free plan or with a $19 per month paid plan.
Brandroot is a tool that generates brand names with available domains.
NameMesh suggests brand names by checking domain availability and your keywords and preferences.
Oberlo Business Name Generator
Oberlo is a very simple, easy-to-use tool for brand name generation. You can choose the free plan or the paid plan for $29.90 per month from Oberlo.
Squadhelp is a community-based brand name generation tool. With Squadhelp you can start a naming contest for your brand name. Starting a naming contest can cost between $299 to $749.
Panabee is a very simple and intuitive tool for brand names and domains. Panabee is also a tool that is free to use.
Naminum is a free tool you can use to generate your brand name based on keywords.
Lean Domain Search
Lean Domain Search is a tool you can use to find suitable and available domains for your brand name.
NameStation is a tool that can create the most specific names according to your niche, keywords, and interests.
Nike is named after the Greek goddess of victory. The name is simple, unique, memorable, and in line with the brand image designed for Nike.
Google’s name depends on the misspelling of the mathematical term called “googol”. This term refers to the number 1 followed by a hundred 0s and illustrates Google’s efforts to organize the mass amount of information within the web.
Jeff Bezos chose Amazon because it is the name of the river in South America, and creates a metaphor for the function of Amazon which is delivering various products to a large place.
The infamous brand of Elon Musk is named Tesla after Nichola Tesla.
Samsung is a Korean brand. Sam means 3, and Sung means star in Korean.
Hyundai is also a Korean brand, and means “modern” in Korean.
Nivea is a Latin word that means snow white.
Starbucks is named after the captain character from the book Moby Dick. This brand name choice refers to Starbucks’ desired brand association with discovery and adventure.
Pierre Omidyar, the founder of ebay.com, originally thought of the name of the company as EchoBay.com, but when he learned that this company name was used by a mining company, he changed the name of the company to eBay.com.
The name Mitsubishi was created by combining the words -mitsu- and -bishi-. Mitsu means three and bishi means diamond. The company name is perfectly reflected in the logo.
The name of the IBM company was created by its founder Tom Watson. The name IBM was created using the initials of the words Internation Business Machines.
Twitter / X
While its founder, Jack Dorsey, was going through the dictionary for name research, he came across the word Twitter. Twitter, which means explosion of unimportant information, is exactly the name Jack Dorsey was looking for. After Elon Musk bought Twitter, he changed Twitter’s name to X. Elon musk has had X.com domain for a while, and has a known fascination for the letter X. Elon Musk says “Brand is just a perception and perception will match reality over time” about this change of name. We will see how well the user’s will adopt to this new change in Twitter/X, and it’s consequences on the brand image.
The name of the Intel brand, which everyone knows very well, was created by combining the first letters of the words Integrated Electronic.
The name of the Lego company was created by combining words. It was created using the words "leg godt", which means "play well" in Danish.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the common mistakes to avoid when naming a startup?
Avoid overly complex names, unclear messaging, and names that may limit your future growth. Ensure the name is unique and not already in use. Also, consider the cultural and linguistic implications to prevent misunderstandings.
Should I choose a name that reflects my industry or go for something abstract?
It depends on your branding strategy. A name directly related to your industry can convey your business's nature, while abstract names offer flexibility and uniqueness. Consider what aligns best with your brand image.
Is It Paid to Get Offers From Branding Agencies in Edvido?
No, getting offers from the largest brand agencies on Edvioda is completely free for our users. You can get a free quote from these agencies by filling out the form on our website. You can choose the branding agency that suits your brand's goals and budget among the leading brand agencies in this sector.
Can I Find the Most Appropriate Branding Agencies For My Brand On Edvido?
Yes, with the help of Edvido, you can easily view the branding agencies that suit your brand the most effectively. You can receive offers from the highest quality branding agencies by filling out the free form on our website.
How Can I Get Offers From Branding Agencies On Edvido?
By filling out the form on our website, you can get a free quote from the best branding agencies that suit your goals and budget.